Audition for A Play at CSU
Audition for a Play
A theatre interest meeting is held the first day of the fall semester, Monday at 5 p.m. in the University Theatre in the University Center for the Arts located at 1400 Remington Street. Map.
- All students in the performance concentration are required to audition for all productions.
- All students at CSU, regardless of major, may audition for a theatre production.
- First-year theatre performance majors should take TH 186 in the fall, which allows you to crew a show during your first semester.
- Students outside of the theatre major who would like an introduction to working in the shops may take TH 186 Practicum, TH 161 Technical Theatre: Stagecraft, and/or TH 286 Practicum; an override will be needed.
- All students, regardless of major, may apply for shop work-study in April. Please join the Canvas Call-Board to receive details.
- If you have questions or need access to the Theatre Canvas Call-board, please contact Matt Grevan.
Auditions for Spring 2024 productions of Fairview directed by Dr. Ray Black, and Our Town directed by Dr. Wesley Longacre take place on Saturday, Nov. 4, and Sunday, Nov. 5, from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. at the University Center for the Arts, Room 242, Large Acting Lab (second floor). The UCA is located at 1400 Remington St.
Callbacks are as follows:
- Fairview: Saturday, Nov. 11, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. in the Large Acting Lab.
- Our Town: Sunday, Nov. 12, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. in the Large Acting Lab.
Actors will sign up for one, 5-minute time slot on either Saturday or Sunday. Please fill out the following audition form. Once the form is complete, you will click a link inside the form that takes you to the audition sign-up page. Please ensure that your form is filled out completely before signing up for an audition time slot. Audition Form
We are exploring the idea of adding an ensemble of musicians and vocalists to Our Town. If anyone wishes to audition for these parts, we ask that they prepare a 60-second audition showcasing their work. Please note that there will not be an accompanist present, so all singing will be done acapella. There will be a keyboard in the audition room so an actor may accompany themselves or play piano. With any other auditions involving instruments, the actor should bring their own.
What to prepare:
- If auditioning to be an actor in Fairview and Our Town prepare:
- Two monologues, 60-90 seconds long that are contemporary (20th century or older) of your choice. One monologue should be from a Black playwright.
- If auditioning to be an actor in Fairview and Our Town as well as a Musical Ensemble Member in Our Town prepare:
- One monologue, 60-90 seconds by a Black playwright, and a 60-second musical piece.
- Dr. Longacre has provided information and links below as examples of the kinds of songs to prepare, including pieces by Joy Oladokun, Gregory Alan Isakov, Allison Russell, or Penny and Sparrow. Here are a couple of specific song examples:
If you have any questions or concerns, contact Matt.Grevan@colostate.edu.